Saturday, April 1, 2023

Currency "No" Exchange

On arrival to the New Delhi airport at 1 am for my flight back to Seattle, I had 3,500 rupees I wanted to exchange back to dollars.  I decided that I would first check my bag at the airline counter and then look for a currency exchange booth.  When I asked a worker at the first booth I saw, he said he could not change rupees into dollars and that I would have to go through security first and then find a currency exchange.

Ok, fine.  About 1.5 hours later after clearing passport control and security, I made it into the departure gate area.  The first currency exchange booth I found had a sign that said, "Staff on break."  I looked around and saw some airport workers and asked where to find a currency exchange.  The worker pointed to the place I had just been.  When I mentioned that no one was there, the worker said it was the only currency exchange available.

Ok, fine.  I went back to wait at the currency exchange booth.  About 10 minutes later a woman entered the currency exchange kiosk and asked me what I wanted to exchange.  I said rupees into US dollars.  She then tells me that she can exchange rupees for no less than $100.  I said I had only 3,500 rupees (about $45).  She said that she was sorry, but could not make the exchange.  I asked what was I supposed to do with the rupees if I couldn't exchange them.  The money is useless outside of India.  She responded that I should spend the money at the airport shops.

Ok, not fine.  I suppose I could keep the rupees in case I returned to India.  But I wanted my dollars back.  I did not want to shop at airport stores at 3 am.  There was nothing I wanted to buy.  Also, everything is overpriced at the airport.  And it's the principle of the thing:  I sold them dollars for rupees when I entered the country and they should buy the rupees back when I leave the country.  Seems a bit unethical to me.

But what choice did I have?  I ended up buying a puzzle book, two blank notebooks and a bottle of melatonin. My suggestion is to make sure you have almost no rupees in your possession before you get to the airport.

No comments:

Post a Comment