Saturday, April 2, 2011

120 V, 60 Hz to 230 V, 50 Hz

While in India, I hope continue to add entries to this blog.  I plan to bring my small computer to help with my teaching and to access the Internet (when available).  In order to use my computer, however, I will need electricity!  In the United States, electricity is delivered as 120 V, 60 Hz; in India, electricity is delivered as 230 V, 50 Hz.

Most new electrical devices like computers are built to run on electricity in these different forms.  The problem is getting the electricity to the computer.  Different countries have different shaped electrical outlets (see below).

The solution to this problem is really quite simple:  an adapter.  My computer power cord will be plugged into the adapter and then the adapter, with the correct outlet configuation, is plugged into the wall.  I just hope I will be able to find the correct adapter at a store here in Seattle. 

No comments:

Post a Comment