Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Language Barrier?

One challenge to teaching in India will be a language barrier.  Some of the monks and nuns speak a little English, but I speak no Tibetan.  Therefore, everything I say must be translated into Tibetan.   I have tried to simplify many of the graphics, worksheets and handouts that will be used.  For example, in a lesson about comparative neuroanatomy, I use a graphic that asks people to match the brain with the animal it belongs to.  When I use this exercise in classrooms in the States, I show photographs of brains with the names of different animals.  I have altered this graphic for use in India so instead of the animal names on the image, I use silhouettes of the animals (see image to the right).  Now, it is not necessary to read English to match the brains to the animals.

I hope to learn some Tibetan during my short stay India; right now I know only one phrase “Tashi delek,” a common greeting.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Eric,

    You are differentiating your lesson for non-English speakers----differentiating instruction is an ongoing challenge for all of us educators.
    Hopefully, you may find a few more English speakers at TCV and in Dharamsala than you might expect.

    Tashi delek!

    Dave

    ReplyDelete