Friday, March 25, 2011

Papers Please

A traveler's passport is the key to enter a new country and return to a home country.  Without a passport, a traveler will be locked out.  That's why I was a bit hesitant when I placed my passport in the mail.

Visitors to India must apply for a visa from the Indian government in order to entry the country.  An application must be completed and questions about citizenship, the purpose of the trip and the places that will be visited must be answered.  Two small photographs and of course, a fee, must also be included.  Then the application and passport are sent by mail to be processed by the closest Embassy or Consulate.  In my case, the closest office was in San Francisco.

I mailed my passport and visa application by registered mail and requested that the return package be sent by FedEx.  I was surprised to find my passport package outside my front door less than two weeks after I had mailed it away.  However, there inside my passport was my official visa that will allow me to enter India.

Getting a visa for India

No comments:

Post a Comment