Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Time Zoned

The time difference between India and Seattle, Washington, is 13.5 hours.  That means, for example, that when it is 8 pm in Seattle, it is 9:30 am the next day in India.  Travelers who cross so many time zones can experience "jet lag" and may have trouble sleeping, concentrating, and staying alert.  Some people with jet lag have memory problems, headaches, nausea and upset stomachs.

I remember on previous trips to India that I couldn't keep my eyes open in the late afternoon.  I felt so tired.  My body felt like it was the early morning and I hadn't slept yet.  I also remember having a difficult time falling asleep at night.  Although it was dark outside, my body thought it was time to wake up.

It usually takes a few days to adapt to the new time zone.  One way to prevent jet lag is to reset your body clock BEFORE a trip.  However, this is not very practical for a trip to India because I would have to completely reverse my sleep-wake pattern -- I would have to go to sleep at about 11 am and wake up at 7 pm.  Another suggestion is to take melatonin supplements to help reset your body clock.  Although some data suggest that melatonin works, other data are not so convincing.  Being in good physical shape, and avoiding alcohol and caffeine on the flight may speed recovery from jet lag.  Exposure to sunlight may also help reset body clocks, so I plan to spend as much time as possible outside after I arrive in India.

No comments:

Post a Comment