Friday, October 10, 2014

Dinner Conversations



After dinner, I stayed around the mess hall to speak with a few monks.  They were interested in how I perceived life as a monk.  I had to admit that I did not know much about their daily life, but I certainly respected their work.  Talk turned to how I spent my days and the amount of time students in the US spent studying.  The monks did not think that students in the US spent enough time studying. 

The monks were also curious about how much time a person should sleep. I mentioned that 8 hours is the recommended amount of time a person should sleep, but it varies from person to person.  The monks I spoke with go to sleep at about 11 pm and wake up at 5:30 am every day.  One of the monks also takes at 30 minute nap each day in the afternoon.  So, six and a half hours of sleep, plus a 30 minute nap is a good amount of sleep.

We continued to talk until the cook came out and told us we would have to leave because the generator would be shut off soon.  The cook was right.  A few minutes later we lost power for the rest of the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment