Monday, October 6, 2014

Scheduled


Mornings start out the same each day.  I still have jet lag, so I am up at about 4:30 am each morning so I know the schedule.  At 6 am, someone rings a bell.  I am not sure if it is to wake up the the monks and the students, but it happens each day at the same time.  Today when I heard the bell I opened my door and was greeted by a rhesus monkey staring right at me.

Soon after the 6 am bell, there is chanting coming from the temple on the grounds.  The low rumble of the chanting carries quite a distance (you may have to turn up the volume of your speakers to hear the chanting).

  
Breakfast for the young monks must follow this morning chanting because by 8 am they are outside practicing their debating technique (again, turn up the volume).



After my own breakfast, I was visited by another resident of the college.

The rest of the day follows on schedule:

9 - 10:30 am = Period 1
10:30 - 11 am = Tea break
11 am - 12:30 pm = Period 2
12:30 - 2 pm = Lunch and rest
2-3:30 pm = Period 3
3:30 - 4 pm = Tea break
4 - 5:30 pm = Period 4
6:30 pm = Dinner

No comments:

Post a Comment