Saturday, September 26, 2015

Goodbyes

Last night I had to pack quickly to get back to Bangalore before a statewide strike began.  This changed the entire schedule for my last day in Bylakuppe.

Like me, the monks found out that I had to leave town at dinner on Friday night.  We all met in front of the guest house at about 8 pm before my 4.5 hour drive back to Bangalore.  The monks said that they had prepared special cakes for me that we were supposed to have the next day.  They were also disappointed that I did not get to deliver my final presentations, but because I left some things undone, it is expected that I will be back to India to finish these final lessons.

The monks also presented me with some scarves and the Science for Monks program gave me some presents to take home.  I told the monks how much I appreciated their attention to my lessons and I also mentioned that I learned many things from them.  I told them that as I walked around Bylakuppe that I met many of the monks who were in my classes from previous years and how we stopped to chat.  I said that I expected them to say "Hello" to me when I see them on the street in the future.  I also encouraged them to stay in contact with me via email.

Below is a photo of a photo that the monks took and printed earlier this week; they gave me the picture as we said our goodbyes last night.  The picture was taken as we posed on top of the building where we had class.  The structure in the background is the Golden Temple.


No comments:

Post a Comment