Friday, September 25, 2015

Under the Cover of Darkness

The last two days have been filled with change; that is why I have not updated this blog since Thursday.  First, a huge storm with thunder and lightning moved through Bylakuppe on Thursday night, knocking out power into Friday.
Final basketball game before dinner

Second, on Friday we found out that there was going to be a huge state-wide strike affecting transportation and other businesses.  So, I am sitting in a hotel room in Bangalore right now.  I had to leave the monastery at the last minute on Friday night because of the strike on Saturday. After dinner on Friday night, it was decided it was safest for me to get back to the city of Bangalore so I would not miss my flight back to Seattle later in the day.  I had planned to teach on Saturday, but things could turn out bad on the roads if I waited.

Strikes in India can turn violent and one of the groups participating in the strike are licensed drivers (e.g., taxis, cars for hire).  Such cars can be idenified by license plates and in past strikes, some cars that have attempted to break the strike have been stopped on the road, stoned and/or burned.  I would like to avoid this.  One town along the road from the monastery in Bylakuppe to Bangalore has an especially bad reputation.

We found one driver who was willing to cross the picket lines, but we decided it was safer to leave town under the cover of darkness before the strike started.   Therefore, I packed quickly at 8 pm to get ready for the 4.5 hour drive back to Bangalore.  All of the monks gathered near the guest house to say "Goodbye."  They presented me with a few gifts and there were speeches all around.  I apologized for not being able to stay for the last day of class, but they all understood.  I hope to keep in touch with them by email.

The hotel has a private car not affected by the strike, so unless we encounter any protests on the road, we should be fine.  It should be an "interesting" day!

No comments:

Post a Comment