Wednesday, September 16, 2015

Words Not Necessary



United Arab Emirates Flag
My flight into Dubai, the largest city in the United Arab Emirates, was uneventful, but 14.5 hours is a long time to sit in one place!  I was a little disappointed that I could not see the high rises or the artificial islands of Dubai from the air.   The area surrounding the airport seems very desolate and hot. 

Few people were at the airport and it looked like there were more shopkeepers at the airport stores than passengers.  It was easy to navigate my way to the departure gate for my next flight to Bangalore (Bengaluru).

As I was waiting for the flight, an older gentleman approached me and said something to me in Arabic.  Although I do not speak a word of Arabic, I could tell from his gestures that he wanted me to watch his bags when he went to the restroom.  So, I nodded, “Yes,”   When he returned, he again spoke to me in Arabic, and I think he was asking me if I wanted him to watch my bags.    I politely shook my head “No.”   Words are often not necessary for meaning to get across.

No comments:

Post a Comment