Monday, September 21, 2015

Scenes from Mysore

The trip to Mysore on Sunday took about 2 hours by car.  The first stop in the city was at the Mysore Palace where a royal family ruled the area from 1350 to 1950. I made the mistake of carrying my camera in my hand.  When we approached the entrance to the palace, a guard got upset and said I had to check my camera in a special room because no photographs were allowed.  I said I would put my camera away, but he would not go for this suggestion.  No cameras allowed inside!

I asked Tomdin, one of the Tibetan translators what to do.  I gave Tomdin my backpack that now had my camera inside, and stepped away.  A few minutes later, Tomdin came back with my backpack and camera still inside.  Apparently for a few rupees, the guard looked the other way.

Mysore Palace

Sign at Mysore Zoo
After lunch (see the post below), we went to the Mysore Zoo.  It cost only 60 rupees ($1) to get in, but my camera caused a problem again.  This time the guards told me that having a camera would cost another 20 rupees.  So, I paid the additional 20 rupees for my camera.  However, I noticed that people with cameras as part of the phones did not have to pay anything!  Don't get me wrong -- 20 rupees is only 33 cents, but it's the principle.  What is the difference between my camera and a phone that can take photos?

After a few hours, we got back in the car for the two hour trip back to Bylakuppe.   We got back in time for dinner...and it was still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment