Sunday, November 17, 2013

Cosmology and Consciousness Conference - Day 3

My presentation was at the top of the program this morning.  I spoke about recent advances in neurotechnology including some being pursued at the Center for Sensorimotor Neural Engineering and some from other research groups around the world.  However, the emphasis of my talk was about moral and ethical issues that arise from this new research.  The Buddhist monastics shared their views and had questions about the control of brain-controlled interfaces.  My talk was followed by Geet Oberoi who works with children and has a program for children with disabilities.

During tea, many of the local Tibetan students had questions for me.  I didn't even have time for tea!  The break was followed by a panel discussion moderated by Bobby Sager.  The audience continued to ask us the scientists and the monks about their perspectives on mind, brain and consciousness.

A car was waiting for me in the Library courtyard at lunch.  I grabbed a quick bite to eat and then it was off to the Dehradun airport.  One last wild ride on the streets of India.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment