Friday, November 8, 2013

If It's Friday...

Friday's lecture started with questions and answers about the previous day's lecture.  Then we discussed the parts of a neuron, the resting potential, the action potential and neurotransmission.  We also had time to go into the courtyard to play the "Pass the Neurotransmitter" game.  Each monk became a neuron where one arm was a dendrite, their bodies were cell bodies, the other arm was an axon and a hand was the synaptic terminal.  For neurotransmitters, we used small rocks.  

The monks were quite competitive when we set up a race to see which team could get their messages to the end of the neuron chain the fastest.  We also demonstrated the benefits of having myelin surrounding axons:  faster conduction velocity.  My only regret is that I was so  busy teaching and getting the monks organized, I did not have time to take photos.  However, I did see other people taking pictures, so I hope someone sends me some images.

No comments:

Post a Comment