Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Day 2 Classes

Today's class started with a question:  "Why do you want to learn about the brain?"  I had the geshes spend 2-3 minutes to write down their thoughts and then they shared their ideas with the others.  I also presented some ideas about why I thought everyone should be interested in the brain.

We then went into an overview of the functions of the nervous system; I started it off by juggling some tennis balls and asking what my brain was doing to help me juggle.  We also played the "Brain, Brain, What is a Brain" game where groups of monks received an object and had to write down how their object was similar and different than the brain.

I had time to mention the two type of cells in the brain (neurons and glia) and briefly talk about cerebrospinal fluid.  We'll do the egg drop experiment tomorrow.

During my entire lecture, I was carrying my little laptop computer in my hands.  My computer has my slides in English while the projection to the screen at the front of the class had my slides that were translated into Tibetan.  Of course, I couldn't read the Tibetan, so I occasionally looked down at my computer to make sure I hit all of the important points.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment