Sunday, November 3, 2013

On to Dehradun

The flight from Delhi to Dehradun was on time.  The Derhadun airport is quite small.  In fact, there were only two planes at the entire airport and I was on was one of them.  The drive from the airport to the workshop location at Sungsten Library took about an hour.  As expected, the drive was a wild one: dodging oncoming cars, motorcycles, bicycles, bus and people;  avoiding cows in the middle of the road, and going around slow moving trucks.  The driver of the car said he saw an elephant in the middle of the road a few days earlier.  I did not see any elephants, but I did see many monkeys on the side of the road.

After I arrived at the Sungsten Library, I was given some fruit, bottled water and a chocolate bar.  The other western educators took a trip to Rishikish, a town close by, so there was no one around.  I took the opportunity to explore the grounds and get some sunshine to fight help with the jet lag.  The library is set a few miles from the Himalayan foothills in a really beautiful environment.  The weather seems to be nice with temperatures around 80 degrees.

View from my room
My room is located on the first floor of a building opposite the library building.  It has electricity and hot water, although I have been told that the electricity often goes out.  I have also been  warned about some large spiders and insects.  I haven't seen any yet, but will try to get a photo if I do.

At about 4 pm, Bryce Johnson, Director of the Science for Monks program and Modesto Tamez, a science educator at the Exploratorium, came back from their excursion.  We talked for a while and then met up with Geshe Lakhdor, Director of the Tibetan Library.  We all walked down to a
local tea shop for a cup of tea.

Then it was back to the library grounds where I got updated about the workshop and program.
Tomorrow is my first day of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment