Friday, November 8, 2013

Power, no Power

Electricity has been a problem here in Dehradun with frequent power outages.  Each day, the power goes out four or five times.  Sometimes the power comes back on in 15-20 minutes, but sometimes it stays off for hours.  Last night we lost power at dinner and then again at 9:30 pm.  The power did not return until about 5 am.  Then we lost power again at breakfast and it stayed off thoughout my class.

I had planned to demonstrate recording of the EEG and using those electrical signals to  control a device using the Emotiv Epoc headsets.  However, because there was no power, I could not do the demo.  Instead, I taught the monks how to make neurons from string and then we started our discussion on the senses.  We discussed how we have many specialized receptors to detect different types of energy in the environment.  I had many PowerPoint slides with this information, but could not use them.  So, we did the ruler drop experiment to test reaction time for vision, hearing and touch.

The monks formed pairs and did multiple tests of the sensory response time.  After they averaged their data, the monks added their data to a white board at the front of the room.  Some of the numbers looked impossible, but we discussed how and why it is important that all data are considered.  Only if there is a valid reason to discard data should it ever be done; all data are important, not just the ones that fit expectations.

The monks were curious about why we did not test smell and taste.  I challenged them to think of an experiment that would test these senses and some of the difficulties they might face. After class, one monk approached me with some questions.  He wanted to know why scientists did not study the heart.  I mentioned that scientists do study the heart, but because I am a neuroscientist, I study the brain.

We will get to the EEG demonstration on Monday...if we have electricity.

No comments:

Post a Comment