Wednesday, October 19, 2016

India Arrival

It has been about 48 hours since I left Seattle and I have had about 4 hours of sleep during this time.  I find it difficult to sleep on planes:  the seats are not comfortable, there is too much  noise, and there are people always moving around.  When I do happen to doze off on a plane, I can't stay asleep because something wakes me up.


But the trip to India went smoothly (mostly).  On arrival at the New Delhi airport at midnight, I quickly made it through immigration, changed some dollars into rupees, and found my bag.  I had arranged with a hotel to pick me up and take me to their hotel.  Even though I would stay in the hotel for only a few hours, I wanted a place to rest up. 


When I exited the airport terminal doors in search of my driver, I couldn't find him.  Sure, my flight was a little early, but I had emailed the hotel three times with all of the information they needed to confirm the reservation for a room and a car. Perhaps the driver was just a little late.  I waited.  And waited. Finally, I decided to call the hotel with a phone near the terminal door.  For 10 rupees (about 15 cents),  I made the call to the hotel.  They assured me the car was on its way.  I waited some more; another 30 minutes passed.  I called the hotel again.  They assured me the car was on its way.  I waited again, but no car.  I had stayed at this hotel in the past and had never had this problem.  The hotel was only 10-15 minutes from the airport.


As luck would have it, I noticed a driver holding a sign with my hotel name waiting near the terminal exit doors.  However, the name on the sign was not mine.  After talking with the driver a bit and explaining my situation, he decided that he would take me and come back for the other passenger. 
I finally arrived at the hotel after waiting for a car for an hour.  I checked in and was able to get about 3 hours of sleep before I headed back to the airport.


I hope the other passenger is not still waiting for his ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment