Saturday, October 29, 2016

Last Day of Class



My last day of teaching was on Friday we discussed memory/learning and consciousness.  For memory and learning, I talked about the different types of memory, how people learn, and the neural mechanisms of learning and memory.  I used the case studies of patients such as “HM” to illustrate how different neural circuits are involved with different types of memory.  We also played several games to show how memory can be fooled (false memories) and how memory can be improved (mnemonics).  For consciousness, we discussed sleep, drugs of abuse, and hypnosis.  The monks were also very interested in the neural mechanisms of meditation and I briefly mentioned that this is a new area of research that is of interest to several research groups in the west. 

After the first class, I asked the abbot of the monastery if he would give me a tour of temple.  We decided that the best time would be at 12:30 pm, after lunch.   We all took off our shoes at the steps to the temple and walked into the large building.  Several statues were placed to each side of a large statue of Buddha.  Both the abbot and a younger monk who spoke English explained the meaning of the statues and the other items in the temple.  It was great to have such a personal tour.

At the end of the day, Bryce Johnson, the director of the Science for Monks program, asked the monastics to write down a few things that they had learned during the past two weeks.  After a few minutes of work, one monk from each table read their statements. 

Listening to the monks was quite overwhelming.  They mentioned how much they enjoyed learning about the brain and expressed how much they like how I explained difficult concepts with activities so they can see and observe for themselves.  After they were finished, I said a few words to thank them and the Science for Monks program for the opportunity to come to India.  I told the monks that I learned so much from them and that I considered them my teachers.

When the speeches concluded, they draped a few scarves over my neck and presented me with a bag of gifts.  It’s a good thing that I have room in my suitcase for these presents.

With the formalities over, it was time for photos.  We gathered at the steps of the Sherabling Temple to pose for a group photo.  Of course, all of the monks wanted photos with their own cameras and they wanted individual photos with me as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment