Thursday, October 27, 2016

Tibetan Language Teachers

Many of the monks here at the Sherabling Monastery speak at least a little English.  At dinner one night, the monks I sat with were my Tibetan language teachers.  I mentioned that written Tibetan looks very different from other languages that I know.  The monks explained that Tibetan consists of 30 letters and 4 vowels.  Each word is separated by a dot or a slash.  The monks were very patient with my many questions and answered each one to ensure that I understood.

2 comments:

  1. English has 5 vowels (a,e,i,o,u) are these the same sounds as Tibetan vowels? What part of the brain learns languages? Why are some good at learning languages & some aren't?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, the Tibetan sounds are very different from English sounds. For more information about language and the brain, see my web site at:
    http://faculty.washington.edu/chudler/lang.html

    ReplyDelete