Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Paragliders over Bir


I was in Bir, India, six years ago when I taught the monastics for the first time.  Last Sunday as part of the field trip with the monks, I returned to the same area.


After our picnic in the hills, we drove in a bus to the paraglider landing zone in the town of Bir.  Six years ago, I had walked to the same area from Deer Park Institute.  Last Sunday, I didn't recognize the place. The town had completely changed with many shops and tourists. 

The area has become a hot spot for paragliders.  The paragliders take off from a mountain top in the town of Billing, high above Bir.  Last year, the paragliding world championship was held her and now the place draws paragliding enthusiasts from all over the world.


Paragliding looks very dangerous to me, especially the landing.  To land, pilots have to fly low, just above a road and then avoid the many people when they touch down.


Today, I saw several paragliders near the Sherabling Monastery.  I hope they weren't lost.

No comments:

Post a Comment