Friday, September 21, 2018

Monk as Neuroscience Teacher

After class yesterday, a monk and I left the Institute and caught a taxi up to MG Road.  The monk wanted to talk to me about a neuroscience course he wanted to teach at his monastery in South India.  This monk had participated in the science program at Emory University and had taught some biology, but never neuroscience, and he liked the way that I was teaching the monks this week.

We found a coffee shop called "The Coffee Shop" and quickly got down to work.  We outlined some topics he could cover in class and I referred him to some good web sites where he could find more information.  I tried to emphasize how important I thought it was to use hands-on demonstrations and experiments with his students.  

I also suggested that he and his students could share their knowledge with younger students, for example, during a Brain Awareness Week program.  He seemed to like this idea so we logged onto the Dana Foundation web site and registered him as a Brain Awareness Week partner.

We spoke for six hours in that coffee shop! 

No comments:

Post a Comment