Tuesday, September 18, 2018

Morning Stroll in Gangtok


View looking south
The melatonin still seems to be working:  I fell asleep quickly and slept a full 7 hours with only two interruptions due to dogs barking on the street.


This morning before breakfast, I took a short walk up the hill.  There are some impressive vistas that can be seen on the walkway up to the main part of town.  I also caught a glimpse of the third highest mountain in the world:  Kangchenjunga.


Kangchenjunga in the distance
On the way back from my walk, a small boy (about 8 years old) stopped me and start talking to me.  I am not sure if he was speaking Hindi or Tibetan, but it didn’t really matter because I did not understand anything he was saying.  But he kept talking and talking as if we were old friends.  I just nodded my head and he kept on talking.  Finally, I decided to show him the photos on my camera.  He seemed to enjoy the pictures and pointed to a few things.  I asked “Photo?” and pointed to him.  He smiled and I took a quick picture.


Further down, a little girl (about 5 years old) was coming out of her house.  When she saw me, she reached out her hand for me to shake.  I smiled and obliged with a quick handshake.  She smiled back and we both went on our way. 

My new friend

No comments:

Post a Comment