Sunday, September 16, 2018

The Road to Gangtok


My first night of sleep in India was good:  a solid 5 hrs in the Radisson Blu Airport Hotel.  I’ve decided to try 1.5 mg of melatonin to overcome jet lag and help me sleep.  Research (Herxheimer, A. and Petrie, K.J.,Melatonin for the prevention and treatment of jet lag, Cochrane Database Syst Rev; (2):CD001520) shows that a dosages between 0.5 and 5 mg help reduce the effects of jet lag, so I decided to go for a lower dose.

The start of the climb
After a short ride to airport, I made my way through security (see previous post) on onto a plane for a 2 hour flight to Bagdogra Airport.  The flight was crowded, but I made my way down the aisle.  I had reserved a window seat and when I got to my row, the middle and aisle seat were already occupied.  I motioned that I had the window seat and the two men in other seats, nodded their heads, but kept seated.  Usually when this happens, the two people in the seat other than the window seat get up so the other person can get access the window seat.  But not these two men.  Instead, I had to climb over them and drop down into my seat.  Just a little inconvenience, but a little surprising.

The plane arrived in Bagdogra at about 1:30 pm on a blazing hot day.  The temperature must have been well over 90F.  The Science for Monks program said a car and driver would be waiting, but no car or driver could be found.  Two of my traveling companions had phones, so while they made calls and texts, and went in search of water.  I bought 3 bottles of water (1 liter; 15 rupees [25 cents] each) for us and soon another driver was arranged.

Still climbing
The road trip up to Gangtok is rough.  About 10 miles from the Bagdogra airport, the road starts to climb into the mountains.  And climb and climb it does over bumping, twisty, pot-holed asphalt and rock.  After 6 hours (and one Dramamine tablet) and a stop to pick up a permit to enter the state of Sikkim, we finally arrived in Gangtok where a meal of fried noodles and fried rice was waiting for us…and it was still hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment