Saturday, September 15, 2018

On to Gangtok

It's on to Gangtok this morning, but first it's a return to the Delhi airport.

Airport protocol in New Delhi is a bit unusual.  Just to enter the terminal, passengers must show a boarding pass and identification.  Then it is on to baggage check and then the security line.

At security, all passengers must walk through an X-ray machine.  It's a bit like Delhi traffic because no one really stays in line and there is a lot of pushing and shoving as people jostle for position.  There is a separate "line" for men and women.  And although everyone must walk through the X-ray machine, everyone still gets a pat down search and hand held metal detector search. 

During my turn at security, I took off my watch and placed it in a bin with my computer to go through the carry-on X-ray machine.  After my pat down search, I picked up my computer, but forgot my watch in the bin.  As I put my computer back in my pack, I realized that I had forgot my watch.  I went back to the X-ray machine immediately, got the attention of a security officer and pointed to my wrist.  I said that I forgot my watch.  I could even see my watch in the bin that had been place next to the X-ray machine. 

The officer immediately knew what I wanted.  However, she would not give me my watch.  Instead, she asked for my boarding pass and then filled out a ledger with my name and other information.  When she was done, she returned my watch.

I probably should not have taken my watch off in the first place.  Everyone who walks through the X-ray machine gets a pat down search and hand held metal detector search.

No comments:

Post a Comment