Sunday, March 26, 2023

Basketball: The Universal Language

Classes are not held on Sunday and the nuns (and I) are free to spend the day as we choose. I chose to start my day with a game of basketball.

When I first arrived in Dharamsala, I noticed a basketball court nearby. But on closer inspection, I saw that both basketball rims were missing from their backboards. However, this morning, four day after I discovered the court, I took an early walk and heard the familiar sound of a bouncing basketball.

Could the rims have been fixed? Yes! A lively game of 2-on-2 was going on and one person was waiting to join. When I arrived, we had enough for 3-on-3. I had enough energy for two games up to 21 points. Being up at 5,000ft tired me out.

Basketball is the same everywhere it is played. Although I could not communicate with my Tibetan teammates using words, the language of a good pass, a hard drive to the basket and a great shot can say it all.

Dharamsala Basketball Court


No comments:

Post a Comment