Monday, March 27, 2023

Tibetan Medical and Astro Institute Museum

 The Tibetan Medical and Astro Institute Museum in Dharamsala has a nice exhibit of detailing the history, preparation and uses of traditional Tibetan medicine.  The walls of the museum are filled with reproduced old paintings illustrating the ancient practices of the art. There are also many specimens of plant (and mineral) materials and a display of the instruments used in Tibetan medicine and surgery.


The entry cost to the museum was only 20 rupees (about 25 cents). I was the only person in the museum and as I was looking around, a woman who must have been the manager or director of the museum, greeted me. She gave me a personal tour of the entire museum, explaining the various exhibits and answering my many questions.

Although there were many signs saying that photography was not allowed in the museum, the manager asked if I wanted to have my picture taken.  I asked about the no photography signs.  She said, “Don’t worry.  I’m the manager.”

I noticed a small display case in the museum and asked if they had any books for sale.  Sure enough they did.  “The Handbook of Tibetan Medicinal Plants” was the perfect memento of my visit.



No comments:

Post a Comment