Sunday, March 26, 2023

Daily Fare

I share three meals a day with the nuns.  Breakfast is served at 7:30 am, lunch at 12:30 pm and dinner at 6:30 pm.  We all eat at the same time in the same small cafeteria room at the Science Center.

Breakfast is always a piece of flatbread with some peanut butter and jelly, sometimes some cooked beans and potatoes.  There is also Tibetan tea in two varieties:  a sweet tea and a butter tea. Both types of tea have some milk and spices (perhaps cardamon?), but as the name suggests, butter tea has added butter.  I’ve tried both but prefer the sweet tea. 

Lunch is usually rice with either dal (crushed lentils) or curry sauce, Tibetan roll and cooked vegetables such as beans, cauliflower or bitter melon.  Dinners are often some type of stew or soup with noodles and vegetables. 

The Tibetan cook has commented that he wishes the nuns would eat more.  When he has cooked for monks in the past, he noticed that they eat much more than the nuns.  The cook does not like to have leftovers!


2 comments:

  1. Monasteries I've stayed in I was strongly urged to get up at 4:30AM and join in with the monks for morning chanting. I'm guessing that's not on your daily to-do list, Eric. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not join in any special morning activities, but I am awake by ~5 am due to jet lag.

      Delete